The city is located in the northern part of the Jeleniogórska Valley on the Bóbr River. The town is surrounded by the Izerskie Mountains from the west, the Kaczawskie Mountains from the north, the Rudawy Janowickie from the east and the Karkonosze from the south.
Probably in the town there was an unknown Slavic stronghold, whose assumption was attributed to the Polish tradition by Bolesław III Krzywousty in 1108. Today, this city is known primarily as a health resort, which is actually located in one of its districts – Cieplice. The beginnings of the spa date back to the times of the Slavic tribe Bobrzan. Historically, the discovery of Cieplice sources is attributed to the prince Bolesław Wysokie, who discovered it in 1175. The healing properties of the local waters attracted the sick even from distant sites. Probably that is why in 1281 prince Bernard Lwówecki donated to the hospital Order of the Joannites from Strzegom “Calidusfons” or “Warm Spring” and 250 fields of land in the area.
Jelenia Góra old town, whose real pearls are: Town Hall with adjacent tenement houses, a fountain and fragments of defensive walls.
Schaffgotsch Palace (Jelenia Góra-Cieplice) – erected in 1784-1809 by the Schaffgotsch family. Unfortunately, the object belonging to the Wrocław University of Technology is practically closed for free sightseeing.
Gallery and Teatr Zdrojowy – built at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries. Inside, there is a restaurant, a reading room and a concert hall functioning today.
Baroque church of St. John the Baptist – built in 1712-1714.
Located on the outskirts of the city Chojnik castle, whose founder was the last of the independent Silesian piasts – Bolesław Rogatka.
Cieplice Health Resort
Photo gallery from 2009: