At the beginning of the 11th century Jarosław founded the Prince of Kiev, Jarosław Mądry. The city was then part of the estate of the Halycho- Volyn principality. In the 1840s, Casimir the Great joined them together with the so-called “Blackfields” to Poland, granting him town rights in 1375. Thanks to its convenient location at the crossroads of trade routes from Silesia to the East and the coast of the Black Sea, the commercial importance of Jarosław grew. In the 16th century, a river port and a shipbuilding yard were built where goods were transported to Gdansk. Jarosław’s famous fairs were attracted by merchants from all over the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and from abroad. They were mainly sold here with canvas, leather products, roots and jewelery. During the heyday of the city, a Jesuit college, several churches and many beautiful residential buildings were built at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1616, Jarosław was one of the first printing houses outside of the big cities of the then Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
In the 17th century, an enormous fire swept through the city, which destroyed a large part of the tenement houses and was later destroyed again during the Swedish Deluge in 1655. After the first partition of Poland in 1772, Jarosław came under the rule of Austria until Poland regained its independence in 1918. The economic revival of the city began in 1860 when it received a railway connection to Krakow, and a year later Lviv.
Urban layout of the oldest part of the city.
Renaissance Krakowska Gate and defensive walls with a moat.
Market development, in particular the Renaissance Orsette house with arcades and an intricate attic.
Town Hall Jarosławski.
The former building of the Sokół Gymnastic Society in Jarosław – now the Municipal Cultural Center.
Palace in Pełkinie.
Miejska Sowa Targowa built on the model of Wrocław at the beginning of the 20th century.
Collegiate Church Corpus Christi from the 16th century, a former monastery church of the Jesuit College.
The Benedictine Abbey with the church. St. Nicholas and Saint. Stanisław Biskupa – an interesting combination of sacral and fortification art.
Church of the Holy Trinity in Jarosław and the Reformed Monastery.
Sanctuary of Our Lady of Sorrows and the Dominican monastery from the 17th century, a Gothic sculpture of Our Lady of Sorrows from the fourteenth century.
Monastery of SS Niepokalanki in Jarosław.
Church of St. Ducha in Jarosław.
Concatedral church. Transfiguration of the Lord’s Greek Catholic rite from the 18th century.
Orthodox church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Jarosław.
The Old Synagogue in Jarosław.
Jewish cemetery in Jarosław.
Military Cemetery in Jarosław.
Photo gallery from 2012: