Categories
Uncategorized

Czaplinek

Czaplinek is located in the Drawsko Lakeland, between the Drawsko and Czaplino lakes, at the intersection of the national road No. 20. The oldest traces of settlement dating back to 2,500 years were discovered on the island of Bielawa on Lake Drawsko and in Stare Drawsko. At the beginning of our era Germanic Goths were here, after them came the Slavs, whose stronghold in the twelfth century most probably burned Bolesław Krzywousty, including Slavic Pomerania to Poland. In autumn 1286, the duke of Wielkopolska, Przemysław II, brought to this area knights of the Order of the Temple of Jerusalem who built the Temple Castle – Tempelborh / burg next to the existing fishing village. Around 1300, Czaplinek’s land was incorporated into Brandenburg, and later into the Kamieński bishopric. In 1368, these lands were purchased by Kazimierz III Wielki. In the hands of Polish Czaplinek, he remained until 1668, when he was in the hands of Brandenburg. In the 17th century, the city experienced a very lively development. At that time Czaplinek did not bypass the great fires that destroyed the city almost entirely. In the second half In the 18th century, Drahim castle gradually lost its importance to the city, and the castle began to fall into disrepair. At the end of the 19th century, a railway line was brought to the city. The construction of roads, paved streets, gas network, a post office with a telegraph was started. During the World War II in Czaplinek and its vicinity, a labor camp was created for Soviet prisoners of war, and a large group of Poles were employed by Germans as forced laborers.

Attractions:
Czaplinek is currently a tourist town. There is a accommodation base here, a large marina.
In Czaplinek, Rafa river rafting begins.
At ul. Drahimska Lake Drawsko has been designated a summer swimming pool.
Urban layout (downtown).
Church Holy Trinity from the thirteenth century, restored in 1725.
Wooden belfry at the parish church from the 18th century.
Town Hall from 1845, ul. market 6.
Czaplinek – photo gallery from 2012

Categories
Uncategorized

Ciezkowice

One of the oldest cities not only in Lesser Poland but also in the country, its roots date back to the 12th century.
Located by the road No. 977 Tarnów – Krynica. Quite an interesting alternative to spend a short holiday for really little money.
Near (2 km from the main road) in Kąśna Dolna there is a small palace complex called the Manor of Ignacy Paderewski.
Access by train by Tarnow – Nowy Sącz – Krynica (passenger trains).

Attractions:
Undoubtedly, it is the Petrified City – a unique area, an inanimate nature reserve located just off the 981 Tarnów – Krynica road, on the northwestern slopes of the “Skała” hill (365 m above sea level).
One of the few places of this type in Europe. Skałki appearing in the reserve are made of sandstone, which according to geological research is about 30 million years old.
In 1948, an inanimate nature reserve with an area of ​​15 ha was created. A tourist route of blue color leads through the Petrified City. There you have to be and see it.

Do you know that:
Legend has it that the city owes its name to the uncle Mieszko I – Cieszko, whose first settled these areas. A horse with a row of people who will provide information that can prove this story.

Ciężkowice – photo gallery from 2007, 2010 and 2012.

Categories
Uncategorized

Chojnice

Chojnice – the tourist capital of Tuchola Forest, is one of the largest and most beautiful cities in the southern part of Kashubia.

Attractions:
Basilica of the Beheading of Saint. John the Baptist from the fourteenth century. According to applications, the pagan temple of Świętowit was built on the site.
Fragments of the medieval city walls running around the Old Town from the west. Currently in the Człuchowska Gate there is the Historical and Ethnographic Museum, and in towers, among others gallery of contemporary art.
One of the most beautiful Old Town markets in this part of Poland with tenement houses from the 18th and 19th centuries. His pearl is, among others, the neo-gothic town hall from 1902.
44 km northwest of Chojnice in the village of Odry there is a unique team of circles and mounds which are a burial ground of the so-called Wielbark culture.
Interesting facts:
The surroundings of Chojnice and Bory Tucholskie are a place where Borowiacy Tucholscy live. It is an ethnic group that is part of the Kashubs – a group of Western Slavs who for centuries resisted the attempts of Polonization and Germanization, keeping to this day their language, culture and customs.

Chojnice – photo gallery of the city from 2009

Categories
Uncategorized

Legnica

The Greek astronomer Ptolemy, who lives in the second century, mentions the Lugi tribe and the town of Lugidunum, which some historians identify with Legnica. The first traces of Slavic settlement in the area of ​​the present city come from the eighth century, where Legnica was the central stronghold of the Trzebowiec tribes.
The name appeared for the first time in the written document of Bolesław Kędzierzawego in 1149.
In 1241, the famous Battle of Legnica took place here, where Polish troops, despite the support from such knightly orders as Joannici and the Knights Templar, were defeated. In 1248, Legnica became the capital of the Duchy of Legnica, and in 1264 it received city rights under the Magdeburg Law. In 1329, Legnica became a Czech fief. Thanks to its location at the crossroads of trade routes from Germany, through Wroclaw and Krakow to Kiev, and from Wielkopolska to the South, trade and crafts developed. In 1675, the last Prince of Piast, Jerzy Wilhelm, died, which made the city come under the direct rule of the Habsburgs.
In 1740, as a result of the wars of Prussia with Austria, the city fell under the Prussian rule. During this period, the city became a garrison, including 7th Regiment Grenadierów them. King Wilhelm I. In 1945, Legnica returned to Poland.
In 1945-1993 in Legnica there was a Command of the Northern Group of Army of the Red Army, for this reason many monuments were destroyed to build facilities for the troops stationed here (urban layout and fragments of city walls).

Attractions:
The Piastowski Castle in Legnica is one of the oldest castles in Poland. In 1241, the building successfully defended itself against the Mongols besieging it. The princely castle in Legnica was in the twelfth and thirteenth century one of the two main residences of the rulers of Silesia.
Mausoleum of the Piasts of Silesia in Legnica – a mausoleum of the princes of Legnica and Brzesko at the church of St. John the Baptist in Legnica.
New Town Hall.
Old Town Hall.
City park.
Interesting facts:
Actress Anna Dymna and Marzena Kipiel-Sztuka known as the wife of Ferdynand Kiepski were born in Legnica. In addition, Tomasz Kot, Mariusz Lewandowski, a Polish football player, was born.

Photo gallery from 2011:

 

Categories
Uncategorized

Opatow

Opatów is located on the Sandomierz Upland. The ranges Jeleniowskie and Iwaniskie Świętokrzyskie Mountains stretch nearby. It is one of the oldest and historically important towns in the region. Mentioned from the twelfth century was an important node of trade routes. Town rights granted by prince Leszek the Black in 1282. Attributes: Collegiate Church of St. Marcin – one of the most valuable monuments of Romanesque architecture in Poland. Erected in the first half XII century. Brama Warszawska – the only surviving fragment of the modern defensive system of Opatów. Baroque monastery o. Bernardine built in the fourteenth-fifteenth century on the site of the settlement Żmigród.Podziemna Tourist Route – a complex of former merchants’ cellars under the tenements of the market. Do you know that: 16 km from Opatowo in Ujazd there are ruins of the seventeenth-century castle Krzyżtopór (the largest private Polish residence) This is the village of Karwów lying at the edge of Opatowo, born according to the applications of Wincenty Kadłubek – the first chronicler of Polish history. Photo gallery from 2009:

 

Categories
Uncategorized

Lwowek Slaski

Lwówek Śląski belongs to one of the oldest cities of Lower Silesia. It is also one of the first cities in Poland to be located under Magdeburg law.

Attractions – Monuments of Lwówek Śląski:
parish church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, circa 1300
Evangelical church from the middle XVIII century, at present there is only a tower
Chapel of the Holy Cross, from 1496.
monastery complex o. Franciscans from the XIV-XV centuries
church of Saints Peter and Paul
monastery
former command of the Joannites from 1728
urban planty, from 1870
defensive walls (fortifications) with towers – gate towers: Lubańska from the 14th century, XV century
The Bolesławiec Gate from the 14th and 16th centuries
town hall from 1522
house, street Jaśkiewicza 29, from 1799.
house ul. Orzeszkowa 1
houses ul. Szpitalna 1 and 3, from the mid-sixteenth century, the eighteenth century
Defensive walls and the luban tower
historic tenement houses
city ​​stalls in the market (House of Bread and Shoe Crafts), from the end of the 15th century
Ratuszowy block, houses, pl. freedom
Town Hall and riser block, 26 houses, pl. Freedom, houses, pl. freedom
Do you know that…:
The city is probably the oldest Polish brewery, whose roots date back to the early 13th century.

Photo gallery from 2009:

 

Categories
Uncategorized

Jelenia Gora

The city is located in the northern part of the Jeleniogórska Valley on the Bóbr River. The town is surrounded by the Izerskie Mountains from the west, the Kaczawskie Mountains from the north, the Rudawy Janowickie from the east and the Karkonosze from the south.
Probably in the town there was an unknown Slavic stronghold, whose assumption was attributed to the Polish tradition by Bolesław III Krzywousty in 1108. Today, this city is known primarily as a health resort, which is actually located in one of its districts – Cieplice. The beginnings of the spa date back to the times of the Slavic tribe Bobrzan. Historically, the discovery of Cieplice sources is attributed to the prince Bolesław Wysokie, who discovered it in 1175. The healing properties of the local waters attracted the sick even from distant sites. Probably that is why in 1281 prince Bernard Lwówecki donated to the hospital Order of the Joannites from Strzegom “Calidusfons” or “Warm Spring” and 250 fields of land in the area.

Attractions:
Jelenia Góra old town, whose real pearls are: Town Hall with adjacent tenement houses, a fountain and fragments of defensive walls.
Schaffgotsch Palace (Jelenia Góra-Cieplice) – erected in 1784-1809 by the Schaffgotsch family. Unfortunately, the object belonging to the Wrocław University of Technology is practically closed for free sightseeing.
Gallery and Teatr Zdrojowy – built at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries. Inside, there is a restaurant, a reading room and a concert hall functioning today.
Baroque church of St. John the Baptist – built in 1712-1714.
Located on the outskirts of the city Chojnik castle, whose founder was the last of the independent Silesian piasts – Bolesław Rogatka.
Cieplice Health Resort
Photo gallery from 2009:

 

Categories
Uncategorized

Jaroslaw

At the beginning of the 11th century Jarosław founded the Prince of Kiev, Jarosław Mądry. The city was then part of the estate of the Halycho- Volyn principality. In the 1840s, Casimir the Great joined them together with the so-called “Blackfields” to Poland, granting him town rights in 1375. Thanks to its convenient location at the crossroads of trade routes from Silesia to the East and the coast of the Black Sea, the commercial importance of Jarosław grew. In the 16th century, a river port and a shipbuilding yard were built where goods were transported to Gdansk. Jarosław’s famous fairs were attracted by merchants from all over the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and from abroad. They were mainly sold here with canvas, leather products, roots and jewelery. During the heyday of the city, a Jesuit college, several churches and many beautiful residential buildings were built at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1616, Jarosław was one of the first printing houses outside of the big cities of the then Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
In the 17th century, an enormous fire swept through the city, which destroyed a large part of the tenement houses and was later destroyed again during the Swedish Deluge in 1655. After the first partition of Poland in 1772, Jarosław came under the rule of Austria until Poland regained its independence in 1918. The economic revival of the city began in 1860 when it received a railway connection to Krakow, and a year later Lviv.

Attractions:
Urban layout of the oldest part of the city.
Renaissance Krakowska Gate and defensive walls with a moat.
Market development, in particular the Renaissance Orsette house with arcades and an intricate attic.
Town Hall Jarosławski.
The former building of the Sokół Gymnastic Society in Jarosław – now the Municipal Cultural Center.
Palace in Pełkinie.
Miejska Sowa Targowa built on the model of Wrocław at the beginning of the 20th century.
Collegiate Church Corpus Christi from the 16th century, a former monastery church of the Jesuit College.
The Benedictine Abbey with the church. St. Nicholas and Saint. Stanisław Biskupa – an interesting combination of sacral and fortification art.
Church of the Holy Trinity in Jarosław and the Reformed Monastery.
Sanctuary of Our Lady of Sorrows and the Dominican monastery from the 17th century, a Gothic sculpture of Our Lady of Sorrows from the fourteenth century.
Monastery of SS Niepokalanki in Jarosław.
Church of St. Ducha in Jarosław.
Concatedral church. Transfiguration of the Lord’s Greek Catholic rite from the 18th century.
Orthodox church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Jarosław.
The Old Synagogue in Jarosław.
Jewish cemetery in Jarosław.
Military Cemetery in Jarosław.
Photo gallery from 2012:

 

Categories
Uncategorized

Gorlice

Gorlice, one is associated with the cradle of the oil industry – similarly to the nearby Jasło – with another one of the bloodiest battles of the First World War. And this city has one of the most colorful stories that can be associated with the foundation of the city.
The founders of Gorlice were a certain Karwacjanie – a middle-class family settled in Krakow, the roots of which most probably reach Italy or France. The first mention of it dates back to 1324, where they are mentioned as bankers and owners of Krakow breweries. Chronicles from 1320-1350 mention the names of three brothers Karwacjanów: Marcin, Piotr and Jekel. The founder of Gorlice – Dersław (Dziersław) and Karwacjan – was probably the son of Marcin or Piotr. In addition, Dersław Karwacjan is mentioned as the owner of several Krakow tenement houses, lead and silver mine in Libiąż, Trzebinia and the Janowice castle together with the village key. In the eighties of the 14th century, he received the office of the Sandomierz merchant. In the mid-fourteenth century, the family of Karwacjanów ‘was adopted’ to the coat of arms Zadora (Płomieńczyk) presumably by the Lanckoronski family (descended from a bourgeois banker family). Between 1350 and 1360 Derslaw I probably purchased from King Casimir the Great Gorlice with the key of the village: Glinik Marjampolski, Stróżówka, Ropica and Rychwałd. It was a period of intensified settlement action in Podkarpacie conducted on behalf of the King by ‘founders’, mainly of German origin. More about this extraordinary story can be read on the pages of Dwór Karwacjanów and Gładyszów.
It is really worth visiting this unusual city, although it does not have such a nice old town as Tarnów or Stary Sącz, but it undoubtedly has its own climate and charm, especially considering that from the south the city is surrounded by forests full of Low Beskids.

Attractions:
The following tourist routes begin or intersect in Gorlice:
* Green: Gorlice – Ożenna – from the railway station in Gorlice through: Wapienne, Magura Wątkowska, Nowy Żmigród
* Blue: Bartne – Szalowa
– from the PKP station in Gorlice via: Łysa Góra to Szalowa
– from the PKP station in Gorlice through: Magura Małastowska to Bartne
* Yellow: Gorlice PKP station – Bartnia Góra (mountain) – Bielanka – Miejska Góra – Ropa – Wawrzka – Florynka – Jamnica
* The black path from ul. Korczak – cemetery no. 91 – Stróżówka (cemetery route led like the blue trail).
Interesting facts:
In 1915, one of the bloodiest battles of the First World War took place near Gorlice, in which about 150,000 soldiers of both fighting parties lost their lives. There are dozens of military cemeteries in the vicinity of the city today.

Photo gallery from 2009:

Categories
Uncategorized

Cieszyn

 

Cieszyn – photo gallery of the city from 2012

Cieszyn, a city located on the border between Poland and the Czech Republic, has a very long and complicated history.

According to legend, the city was founded in 810 by three sons of the Polish King Leszek III. In fact, Cieszyn was founded in the 10th century as a stronghold defending the southern border of the Polish state. A separate city developed from the surrounding borough.
From about 1290, Cieszyn was the capital of the independent Cieszyn Duchy, then founded on the basis of the duchy of the region – Cieszyn Silesia. Since the Reformation, it has been a religiously diverse city with a mixed national composition. Apart from the Polish population, Germans, Czechs and Jews lived here, and at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, a small but visible colony of Hungarians.
The dispute over the territorial affiliation of Cieszyn Silesia led to the division of the city in 1920. The suburbs on the left bank of Olza became part of Czechoslovakia and created a new city. From that moment it develops as two border cities divided by the Olza River: Cieszyn and Czech Cieszyn.

Attractions:
Castle Hill (Zamkowa Street) – on it, among others The 11th century Roman rotunda of Saint. Nicholas, a Gothic castle tower from the 14th century (the so-called Piast Tower), the Habsburg palace from the 19th century, fragments of the Piast castle, monuments of nature
The parish church of Saint. Mary Magdalene (Dominican Square), formerly Dominican – one of the oldest churches in Cieszyn; gothic elements from the turn of the 13th / 14th century, rebuilt after the fire at the end of the 18th century; Baroque decor from the 18th century
Church of St. George from the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries
Well of Three Brothers
Do you know that:
The film review “CINEMA FOR THE BORDER” is a cyclical event taking place in Cieszyn and Czech Cieszyn every year in April.
Cieszyn Rotunda of Saint. Nicholas from the beginning of the 11th century is one of the oldest preserved buildings on the plan of a circle in Poland. Her image is on a 20 zloty banknote.

Castle Hill in Cieszyn

Colonisation of Castle Mountain has been recorded since the turn of 9th and 10th century.
After the times of belonging to Greater Moravia and Czech duchy, roughly in 990, burgwall in Cieszyn was included into state of Piasts. The burgwall was fortified with wood-earthern ramparts. Brick buildings were being gradually erected: rotunda of St Nicholas (has also had St. Wacław name since 1495) and round tower of final defense line.
From the moment an independant Duchy of Cieszyn arose at the end of 13th century, later in 1327 merged with Czech Crown, occured a rapid expansion of Castle Mountain, which was a seat of Piast sovereigns.
During reign of Casimir I’s, and especially Przemyslaus I Noszak’s, a gothic prince residence was created. The castle itself was destroyed in 1646’s spring by Swedish troops. Princess Elisabeth Lukretia had not dwelled there since then, as she hadn’t had funds necessery to rebuild the castle<
The castle became a seat of Habsburgs’ property administration, called Cieszyn Chamber.
In the thirties of 19th century, archprince Carol Habsburg created a summer residence in the castle. In 1836 began demolition of Upper Castle’s remains, except for Piast Tower and rotunda of St Nicholas and St Wacław.

Hunting Palace – residence of Habsburgs – built on Lower Castle’s fundaments. It was raised in 1838-1840 in classical style. Guest rooms of Cieszyn’s archprince and offices of Cieszyn Chamber were located here.
Since 1947 it has been a seat of Cieszyn Castle and music school.

 

[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”2291″ gal_title=”Góra Zamkowa”]